Sunday, June 17, 2007

Happy Father's Day



so that's lake habbaniyah from the road i take to work every day. it's actually a lot closer than it looks in the picture and we all stare out longingly at the water wishing we could just jump in. if only it weren't for the schistosomiasis and filariasis and god knows what other nasty creatures lying in the otherwise beautiful blue depths... on a clear day, you could imagine you were in another place, looking over some sand dunes, staring out into the ocean way out yonder (or you could imagine polar bears and ice caps as chu viet suggested :)...thanks for posting!). but just as you think about grabbing that ice-cold corona, you notice the barbed wire, and the control tower and a 7-ton drives by or gust of sand blows into your face, and by golly, you're still in iraq.

i often feel guilty whenever i start feeling restless and ready to go home. i mean, this is my first (and likely only) deployment and it's really not that bad. many of my marines are here on their 3rd, 4th trips, with some on their 5th! those of us on our 1st are def in the minority and as sucky as it may be, it's nowhere nearly as bad as being here the nth time around. now that, i can't even imagine.

daddy, happy father's day, and happy father's day to all the other pops out there. wish i could be there! micki, happy birthday and congratulations! great, great job! i know the fam's proud and you should be as well. helluvan achievement. welcome back to cali. i can't wait to get back there myself and i'll see you then!

5 comments:

JPom said...

Dude, you look like a bada$$ with that gun! Hope you are doing well, we all miss you!

Jen

Anonymous said...

Tan Tran!

Hey, Otitis just gave the link to your blog. I stayed up past me bedtime reading it. I feel so guilty about being here in Pax River now. I'm glad you are maintaining - miss you a ton - it sucks I was out of town for every chance we had to get together. Take care of yourself - the blog is awesome. I'll be checking in on you regularly now.
Later Foolio,
Surly Joe

Ryan Pomicter said...

Get some! Nice 50cal action dog!

Ryan Pomicter said...

Yo, I posted a link to your blog on mine

Anonymous said...

Hey H,
Kate posted the following: we miss you and think about you often. I sent you another package before reading your request for crystal light...sooo sorry. Will definitely include it next time!

Cheers, bro.
Sucheckis.