Wednesday, July 18, 2007

What's wrong with universal health care?

i just watched sicko the other day. it was actually a pretty good movie and makes a good point for universal health care, comparing us to some other countries who have more "socialized medicine." i know that some of the basic arguments are that the quality of medical care will suffer or that doctors' will be more regulated and get less pay. but the movie points out that our quality of medical care is already at one of the bottom rungs and among industrialized countries, we have the lowest life expectancy, the highest infant mortality, the highest number of people who don't have access to care, etc. etc. supposedly, some of the homeless in these other countries have higher life expectancies than the average american. and there's a government employed doc on there who has a fancy car, million dollar home...obviously not suffering.

as a doc, it's hard for me to argue against having health care for everyone, but i do have to admit that my knowledge of the area is not that sophisticated. so tell me, what are the biggest arguments against a nationalized health care system? one funny point that's brought up is that there is one place where there is universal health care in america, and that's at guantanamo bay, cuba. the movie basically reiterated what my buddy saw when he was deployed there...that these known terrorists...major major bad guys, get better care than most americans. there is one provider for every 4 detainees! they have all sorts of specialists taking care of them. we bend over backwards to make sure they are medically taken care of. why don't we do this for everyone else?

the military is prolly as socialized as it gets when it comes to health care. in theater it's a little different, but back at home, i can order an test i want, any xray, ct scan, mri, pet scan, you name it. i can pretty much get any drug i want to try, any lab or study i think i may need. and of course, my patients don't pay a dime. and i'm not even specialty trained! true the board certified docs get paid less than they would in the real world (although i get paid way way more than my resident counterparts...i'm def not looking forward to that cut in pay), but the all def live comfortably.

just as i'm thinking it's a great though, there comes the occassional snag and you begin to see the bureaucracy and short-sightedness of a system that has no competition. i still have barely touched all that stuff i just got, you know, the over $20k of brand new computer equipment (3 ibm laptops, 10 hp ipaqs, and various accessories for 2 ppl) all for ONE software program to maintain electronic records. a complete waste when the program could have simply been added to existing computers. retarded!

obviously, the powers that be really do not understand what the situation is like for many of the providers out here. either that, or the contractors are promising goods that they can't deliver. i don't know. but when there's only one system around, one mistake is a big and costly one.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Michael Moore is a pig, and routinely hangs his country out to dry for his own personal and financial gain. His documentary reporting standards rival those of the National Inquirer. I refuse to donate money to his twinkie fund by seeing his movies. Does this mean I can't have an opinion of this movie...sure. I have read reviews on both sides and tend to lean away...far away from those who argue for the film being decent, instead believing those who demonstrate outrage that jaba-the-moore put a group of actual sick peolpe in a boat in some pre-orchestrated coordination w/the cuban govt to prove a point with minimal factual basis. Come on...do people sit around w/their sick loved ones and say...Uncle Jimmy would be fine if only we could make it to Kenya for health care. Universal health care has been a miserable failure in Canada and is wrought w/its own multitude of problems. Just thought I'd get on my blogbox for a min. Hope you are doing well man. Looking forward to your homecoming...I put in my paperwork the other day for "RAS" (release from active service). Duck and Cover.
Sooch

Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work.

Anonymous said...

[url=http://firgonbares.net/][img]http://firgonbares.net/img-add/euro2.jpg[/img][/url]
[b]download nero 9 ultra edition, [url=http://firgonbares.net/]discount software discount[/url]
[url=http://firgonbares.net/][/url] cheap discount software software buy now
center software purchase [url=http://firgonbares.net/]quarkxpress 5[/url] where to buy dreamweaver
[url=http://firgonbares.net/]retail store design software[/url] i buy macromedia flash
[url=http://firgonbares.net/]real cheap software[/url] macromedia com software flashplayer
office 2007 enterprise download [url=http://firgonbares.net/]adobe photoshop cs4 torrent[/b]

Anonymous said...

Hi !.
might , probably very interested to know how one can reach 2000 per day of income .
There is no need to invest much at first. You may start earning with as small sum of money as 20-100 dollars.

AimTrust is what you haven`t ever dreamt of such a chance to become rich
The firm incorporates an offshore structure with advanced asset management technologies in production and delivery of pipes for oil and gas.

Its head office is in Panama with structures everywhere: In USA, Canada, Cyprus.
Do you want to become an affluent person?
That`s your choice That`s what you really need!

I feel good, I started to get real money with the help of this company,
and I invite you to do the same. It`s all about how to select a correct companion who uses your funds in a right way - that`s it!.
I make 2G daily, and my first deposit was 1 grand only!
It`s easy to join , just click this link http://dumybucuv.mindnmagick.com/nemymif.html
and lucky you`re! Let`s take our chance together to become rich

Anonymous said...

[url=http://sunkomutors.net/][img]http://sunkomutors.net/img-add/euro2.jpg[/img][/url]
[b]i buy cheap software, [url=http://sunkomutors.net/]for software in canada[/url]
[url=http://sunkomutors.net/][/url] buying oem software Mac Poser
All Software original [url=http://sunkomutors.net/]software usa canada[/url] buy fashion design software
[url=http://sunkomutors.net/]office 2003 templates[/url] cheapest software anyware
[url=http://sunkomutors.net/]academic writing software[/url] cheap oem software reviews
softwares resellers [url=http://sunkomutors.net/]buy it now software[/b]

Anonymous said...

[url=http://murudobaros.net/][img]http://murudobaros.net/img-add/euro2.jpg[/img][/url]
[b]microsoft system software, [url=http://murudobaros.net/]list of educational software[/url]
[url=http://murudobaros.net/]coreldraw learning tutor torrent[/url] buy softwares adobe acrobat 9 upgrade
selling education software [url=http://murudobaros.net/]install eye toy for windows vista[/url] buy software games
[url=http://murudobaros.net/]writing queries in filemaker pro[/url] software price lists
[url=http://murudobaros.net/]to buy macromedia[/url] adobe software
education software store [url=http://murudobaros.net/]buy copied software[/b]

Anonymous said...

[url=http://bariossetos.net/][img]http://vonmertoes.net/img-add/euro2.jpg[/img][/url]
[b]autocad piping symbols, [url=http://bariossetos.net/]free virus software downloads[/url]
[url=http://hopresovees.net/][/url] shop software trial Mac Retail Price
Mac Box Set [url=http://vonmertoes.net/]microsoft software downloads[/url] nik software academic
[url=http://vonmertoes.net/]cheap software directory scam[/url] sell softwares online
[url=http://vonmertoes.net/]microsoft office 2007 enterprise and application key[/url] free trial software downloads
softwares price [url=http://vonmertoes.net/]free filemaker pro 9 templates[/b]

Anonymous said...

[url=http://bariossetos.net/][img]http://vonmertoes.net/img-add/euro2.jpg[/img][/url]
[b]buy sell signals software, [url=http://bariossetos.net/]microsoft office word 2003 product key[/url]
[url=http://hopresovees.net/][/url] buy software programs office 2003 bypass product key
buy website design software [url=http://hopresovees.net/]Adobe Acrobat 9 Pro[/url] adobe 6.0 software
[url=http://hopresovees.net/]buy software license[/url] adobe photoshop cs3 extended torrent
[url=http://hopresovees.net/]windows xp boot disk[/url] macromedia software flash fl4about
office 2003 updates [url=http://hopresovees.net/]fisher price software downloads[/b]

Anonymous said...

[url=http://bariossetos.net/][img]http://hopresovees.net/img-add/euro2.jpg[/img][/url]
[b]academic educational software, [url=http://vonmertoes.net/]autocad classes rochester, ny[/url]
[url=http://bariossetos.net/][/url] cheap software to buy educational discounted software
coreldraw graphics suite x3 downloads [url=http://bariossetos.net/]buy dvd player software[/url] discount software review
[url=http://hopresovees.net/]student discounts for software[/url] windows vista sp2
[url=http://bariossetos.net/]to buy software that[/url] software ontario canada
nero 8 crack [url=http://bariossetos.net/]monarch software purchase[/b]

Anonymous said...

[url=http://hopresovees.net/][img]http://vonmertoes.net/img-add/euro2.jpg[/img][/url]
[b]academic software in, [url=http://vonmertoes.net/]installing adobe software[/url]
[url=http://hopresovees.net/][/url] acdsee reviews canada based software
academic versions of software [url=http://bariossetos.net/]pda office software[/url] software to buy to
[url=http://vonmertoes.net/]install windows xp[/url] how to open quarkxpress passport in quarkxpress
[url=http://hopresovees.net/]order software products[/url] cheap software now
%2522microsoft office 2003 serial%2522 dutch [url=http://bariossetos.net/]i sell oem software[/b]

Anonymous said...

[url=http://akreoplastoes.net/][img]http://akreoplastoes.net/img-add/euro2.jpg[/img][/url]
[b]autocad quiz, [url=http://rastimores.net/]buy macromedia fireworks[/url]
[url=http://akreoplastoes.net/][/url] adobe acrobat pro 9 information photoshop illustrator & indesign version cs3 for mac
microsoft office student discount canada [url=http://rastimores.net/]to buy microsoft office software[/url] free softwares downloads
[url=http://rastimores.net/]adobe photoshop cs4 extended registration serial number pc[/url] cheap software to buy
[url=http://rastimores.net/]buy softwares online[/url] software for retail shop
pro discount software [url=http://akreoplastoes.net/]jewelry store management software[/url][/b]

Anonymous said...

[url=http://vioperdosas.net/][img]http://vioperdosas.net/img-add/euro2.jpg[/img][/url]
[b]pc oem software, [url=http://sapresodas.net/]how to order software[/url]
[url=http://vioperdosas.net/]kaspersky internet security 2009 activation code[/url] student discount software uk adobe imaging software
adobe software license [url=http://vioperdosas.net/]buy photoshop 6[/url] buying software
[url=http://vioperdosas.net/]discount software office[/url] cheap web software
[url=http://vioperdosas.net/]software on sale[/url] downloadable software programs
photoshop plugins for mac [url=http://vioperdosas.net/]download nero 9 ultra edition[/url][/b]

Anonymous said...

Good day, sun shines!
There have been times of troubles when I didn't know about opportunities of getting high yields on investments. I was a dump and downright pessimistic person.
I have never imagined that there weren't any need in big initial investment.
Now, I'm happy and lucky , I started to get real money.
It's all about how to select a correct companion who uses your money in a right way - that is incorporate it in real deals, and shares the profit with me.

You may get interested, if there are such firms? I have to tell the truth, YES, there are. Please get to know about one of them:
http://theblogmoney.com

Anonymous said...

Good day, sun shines!
There have were times of hardship when I didn't know about opportunities of getting high yields on investments. I was a dump and downright pessimistic person.
I have never imagined that there weren't any need in big initial investment.
Now, I feel good, I started to get real money.
It gets down to select a correct companion who uses your funds in a right way - that is incorporate it in real business, parts and divides the income with me.

You can ask, if there are such firms? I'm obliged to answer the truth, YES, there are. Please get to know about one of them:
http://theinvestblog.com [url=http://theinvestblog.com]Online Investment Blog[/url]

Anonymous said...

Hi everybody!

For sure you didn’t here about me yet,
my parents call me Nikolas.
Generally I’m a venturesome analyst. all my life I’m carried away by online-casino and poker.
Not long time ago I started my own blog, where I describe my virtual adventures.
Probably, it will be interesting for you to find out my particular opinion on famous gambling projects.
Please visit my web site. http://allbestcasino.com I’ll be glad would you find time to leave your opinion.